Last Day At Alison's

It was a miracle we found it, a childcare space for Joey.

When I was pregnant I remembered it, from work visits. A sweet little family childcare several blocks away.

A house, with a trampoline out front--surrounded by pine trees. At the time I'd no idea they'd always end up reminding me of sunny summers in Spokane. 

Early on at pick up I'd sit on the sidewalk and breastfeed that little squishy 1 year old, at the end of the day of his twice a week visits. Alison carried him in a carrier for his naps, since he was so used to that. Gradually transitioning him to a little cot. Gradually letting him gracefully grow out of his naps with just some quiet activities in the "big room" while the others slept.

Snacks and meals included. Vegetarian at that! Joey raves about the cheesy bread and the pasta, "And we eat the fruits first at snack time!" he tells me. 

I thank Alison for Joey's love of lentils. For his better-than-my-others' manners. 

Every drop off and pick up was a step into a cozy world of little voices, full of joy and energy for the day, for all the happenings.

Taisha the dog got Joey used to, well, a dog--after having been scared off early on by a neighbour's--and maybe inheritance from Mama. A cat too, Madeux. 

Simon will miss giving Taisha scratches three times a week in the morning. Chattering with the children, all often wanting to tell him something. Playing the "find the" game on bike ride there, passing all the houses. Reveling in the Halloween and Christmas decorations displayed seasonally. We'll have to still check, won't we?

Maybe even come to pet Taisha. Have a jump on the trampoline?

I will miss that trampoline. Every pick up asking if Joey'd like to "jumpy jump"--sometimes even joining him. It's the gathering spot out front in between the parts of the day. Sometimes full of parent chatter, the different make up of people as the years passed.

Four years!

I didn't think I'd cry. "Mama, are you going to cry?" the other boy asked me, knowing. "Well, it will depend on my mood, I guess."

Knowing, though, he'd leaned right. I cried, a lot--today. And Simon did too cause he's my softy. My "this is the last time we'll _____________." Parenting is full of those realizations. I guess life itself is, if you slow down enough to notice!

Just don't notice too much or you'll find yourself sobbing like it was the last day of 3rd grade and you couldn't imagine not having That Teacher anymore!

Anyway, Alison's. What a lovely place. All the lives Alison's has touched. I know the feeling, too--hers--saying goodbye to the one you've watched grow for awhile, heard such funny and tender things from, struggled with, joy-ed with! Watched accomplish things. Nurtured and loved and cared for and kept safe in all the ways. That's why she cried too.

Thank you, Alison's. As a parent of one of my preschoolers said to me years ago about a wedding gift they gave me, "I hope this lasts as long as what you gave _____________." 

What "Alison's" (as we call it)--what Alison gave Joey will last a lifetime. He might not realize it now--or ever--but it'll always be in there. And that's why today I cried. A lot! That, and, well another end of an era.

Kindergarten drop off--oh gosh I'm sure glad I have a few days more before I have to go thru that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six Poems

Engaged

I Want Out, but first, I'd Like An Apology